These past twelve months will forever be defined by COVID-19. Radio as a whole has displayed its resiliency at many times throughout this journey, and the full story is still being written.
Non-commercial News stations across 45 PPM markets combined for a huge JAN21 book. This survey does include some major news events, but don’t look past this format and set of stations for increasing both their listeners (Cume) and listening (AQH) all along the way:
- Radio’s Cume (all stations) across PPM markets is only off by 7% for OCT20 vs. JAN20 (slide 1).
- Radio’s AQH or PUMM (all stations) across PPM markets is still off by 13% for OCT20 vs. JAN20 (slide 2).
- Full Time Public News Stations across PPM markets are UP 1% in Cume for JAN21 vs. JAN20 (slide 3).
- Full Time Public News Stations across PPM markets are UP 12% in AQH for JAN21 vs. JAN20 (slide 4).
- AQH Share for these 48 Stations has gone from a 4.1 to a 5.9 year over year… and that’s an increase of 44% (slide 5)!
If a ‘rising tide raises all boats,’ local radio may have been strengthened during this longstanding exercise.